WHAT IS ORTHOKERATOLOGY?
Orthokeratology (OrthoK) is the use of specially designed contact lenses that act as a vision retainer to gently and gradually reshape the front surface of the eye (the cornea) to eliminate or reduce nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), astigmatism and in some cases presbyopia(the need for reading glasses).
It is an alternative to laser surgery and is a form of vision correction that is being utilized all around the world. The vision retainers are similar to contact lenses and are only worn at night while sleeping. They are then removed upon awakening to provide clear vision without using glasses or daytime contact lenses!
At Eye Desire, Dr. David Roth has named his Orthokeratology program “Gentle Molding Therapy” or GMT.
WHAT TO EXPECT AT YOUR FREE CONSULTATION.
Dr. David Roth will measure your refractive error (prescription) as well as look at the health of your corneas (front service of the eye) to ensure your eyes are healthy enough for the procedure.
He will take precise measurements of the curvature of your corneas using a corneal topographer. Topography is painless and produces a topographical map of your eye’s front surface. Dr. David Roth will then use this information to design lenses specifically for your eyes using a computer program.
HOW MUCH DOES GMT COST?
Fitting ortho-k lenses is a more time-consuming process and requires more expertise than fitting regular contact lenses. It requires many office visits and multiple sets of lenses in the beginning of your treatment.
The cost of GMT varies depending on the type of your refractive error and measurements of your eyes. Your fee level will be determined at your free consultation. The range for the Gentle Molding Therapy Program is between $2,500 and $6,000.
Do I have to pay this every year? No, after the first year of treatment is completed your annual GMT visit (with new lenses) is $1200.
Is it covered by insurance? No, unfortunately orthok is not covered by vision care insurance plans because it is considered an elective/cosmetic procedure. If you have a flex spending account you are welcome to use it. Ask us about Care Credit (medical credit card)
The 12 month Gentle Molding Therapy Program includes the following:
- Initial GMT consultation, evaluation, and fitting
- Lens design and 1 final pair of lenses
- ALL lens changes and visits made by the doctor within the first 12 months
- ALL topography testing
- Lens handling instructions and initial cleaning and disinfecting solutions (3 month supply)
- Initial recommended eye drops (Ortho K Thick drops/Numbing Eye Drops)
- 1 sink lens catcher
- 2 removal “plungers”
Want more information? Call our office to schedule your free consultation at 305-673-1211
WHO IS A CANDIDATE FOR ORTHOK?
- Generally ortho-k is the most successful in people with low to moderate myopia (nearsightedness).
- Children are especially great candidates because ortho-k lenses can prevent or halt the progression of myopia. (Dr. Roth prescribes for children as young as 7 years old!)
- Athletes and active sports enthusiasts
- People who work in environments where glasses or contact lenses are not ideal.
- People who are not candidates or are too young for LASIK.
- Anyone who wants to be liberated from using glasses or contact lenses during the day should schedule their free consultation with Dr. David Roth.
WHAT DOCTORS FIT ORTHO-K LENSES?
Orthokeratology is a very specialized treatment and type of contact lens technology. Not all eye doctors (optometrists or ophthalmologists) perform orthokeratology. Dr. David Roth is one of the only certified orthokeratologists in Miami and has performed this technique for over 15 years. In addition, Dr. Roth’s office has the necessary diagnostic equipment and computer software to successfully perform GMT. GMT is very safe for both children and adults and we only utilize FDA approved materials.
Click on the links below to learn more about orthokeratology as well as myopia control.
What does orthok feel like?
- Orthok lenses are a hard contact lens that is smaller than a soft contact. Because you are only wearing the lens while you are sleeping, you do not feel the lens.
- There is no pain associated with orthok lenses or the cornea reshaping process
- We will teach your how to insert and remove your orthok lens as well as how to care for them
"After watching a news clip last year featuring Dr. Roth and his view on Ortho-K lenses, I made an appointment. I am so grateful to have gone. Best decision ever and have been using Ortho-K lenses ever since. Thanks, Dr. Roth for providing this safe, non-invasive option. You are the best!!"
"It is so wonderful to wake up in the morning, take out my GMT contacts and be able to see perfectly all day and night. Thank you Dr Roth."
"The day I started using Ortho changed my life. I couldn’t do anything without my glasses or contacts, which I was always losing, not unlike other kids my age. But then, I started wearing these contacts only while I slept and every morning I woke up able to see."
"This is an amazing treatment and an opportunity for anyone with eye issues, especially athletes, to have the freedom to train and compete with clear, worry-free vision. I highly recommend this treatment to the triathlon community and the public at large."
"We have been very pleased and would highly recommend Dr. Roth and GMT to anyone. Our son has been able to see things more clear, sharp and is pleased regarding the sport he plays and the vision he has obtained. This had definitely helped his performance in the classroom and on the field. We, as his parents, couldn’t be any more happier with the results. Thank you Dr. Roth and we look forward to continued success!!!!"